Latter-day Saint meetinghouse ‘full of carbon monoxide’, multiple people sickened

Photo: Gephardt Daily

PROVO, Utah, Oct. 13, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — Provo Fire and Rescue crews were called to a meeting house of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Sunday morning, and found it was “full of carbon monoxide.”

Station 22 was dispatched to a medical call at the LDS Church at 650 E. Stadium Ave. just after 11:05 a.m., said a tweet from Provo Fire.

“Church was full of carbon monoxide,” the tweet said. “Church evacuated, Questar called.”

One patient was transported to an area hospital by ground ambulance and several went by personal vehicle, the tweet said. The condition of those individuals is not clear at this early stage.

“Some have been transferred to Intermountain Medical Center for hyperbaric treatment,” the tweet added. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy involves breathing pure oxygen in a chamber in which the air pressure is about two to three times higher than normal, which speeds the replacement of carbon monoxide with oxygen in an individual’s blood.

The cause of the carbon monoxide leak is not clear at this time.

Gephardt Daily will have more on this developing story as information is made available.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here